Friday, October 15, 2010

Helen (An Unforgettable Occasion)

Hey look, it’s Friday! Let’s kick things into weekend mode here! Hanging out with people we love – that’s what weekends are for, and here’s Helen  - a true pro at true livin’ - to show us all how it’s done. You know what I like about this story? It’s not just the what, it’s the how. It’s not just the fantastic activities that Helen and her family did together, it’s the little things her son Dwight said throughout the day that really stuck with Helen, and now really stick with me. That’s the real glue – of this story, and of their rock-solid family. What a good son. What a good mom.

Helen H. Lahr
An Unforgettable Occasion
September 30, 2010

The telephone rang and it was Dwight, my son.  A usual, when I hear him say, “Mommy?”, my heart sings.  For years, although he lives miles and miles away, he calls every Sunday and sometimes during the week to check on his sister and me.  Needless to say, we always have a lot to chat about.

This time he said, “We are coming down to spend a few days with you prior to the Labor Day Weekend.  Deidre and I were ecstatic.  She had just spent a lovely vacation with them in New England.

The day of their arrival came and, as usual, our first day together was spent just enjoying each other and sharing tidbits about their recent trip to Spain.  Later that evening, Dwight suddenly said, “All of us will be leaving the house at 11:00 am in the morning.”  He smiled as he said, “Don’t ask any questions.  I will tell you what it is all about tomorrow.”

No amount of prodding brought forth any revelations from my daughter-in-law or my two youngest grandsons who accompanied them.  The next morning we got into the car and headed for Center City, Chestnut Street in Philadelphia.

I insisted upon waiting on a bench while the rest of my family saw Independence Hall, The Liberty Bell, etc.  The children had never seen these attractions.  When they returned we went to the 300 block of Chestnut Street to a pricey and very elite restaurant.  At first, we had refreshments outside at tables with linen tablecloths and huge umbrellas.  Then, we were led by waiters to tables inside.  Food was served in courses and was it delicious.  My daughter-in-law did all of the ordering.  She would explain what each dish was before placing the order.  It was quite an experience.

We returned home and Dwight said we were going to the movies later that night – which we did.  My son explained later that he had wanted his mother and sister in Spain with them (Dwight had tried to get me on a plane, but these days I have a fear of doing so) but since we weren’t, he wanted us to experience what each of their days was like while they were there.